A More Sustainable 4th
As summertime celebrations ramp up, Measure Meant has a few suggestions for you to help make your festivities more environmentally friendly.
- Skip the Disposables -- Instead of using disposable plates, cups, or utensils, consider using your reusable tableware to lessen waste. This includes using your reusable water bottles! If you must use disposable items, look for eco-friendly brands, choose options that are easily recycled, and avoid plastic.
- Listen to Your Dog -- Pups are not big fans of fireworks, and neither are we! Fireworks can be beautiful, but they are really bad for the environment. Not only do they contribute to litter and noise pollution, they produce toxic byproducts that find their way into our waterways. Consider alternative ways of celebrating by using LED candles or lights to decorate your table or outdoor space. Laser light shows are becoming more popular - look for a show near you. Of course, no one will judge you if you choose to binge season 3 of Stranger Things which premiers this July 4th!
- Go Veg Heavy -- Consider replacing some of the meat on your plate this 4th with more plant-based recipes. Your heart will thank you and so will the environment. To better understand how diet impacts the environment, here's a great comparison of five diet types.
- Green Your Grill -- Reduce the amount of pollution and toxins you emit by switching from charcoal to a "greener" BBQ fuel like electricity or propane. If you want to get serious, try a solar grill!
- Compost Your Food Scraps -- Food waste is a huge contributor to green house gas emissions. If you have food waste, put it in your green bin. Composting food scraps is a more eco friendly option than throwing them in the trash. Better yet, save your leftovers and avoid food waste all together!
- Keep it Simple -- Remember what's important in life: family and friends. Sometimes the best way to celebrate is to keep it simple. Slow down, find your favorite outdoor place and enjoy it with the ones you love the most. It doesn't get any better than that!
Carbon Friendly Brews
As the warmer weather starts to move in and dining establishments allow patrons to be seated indoors, it’s hard to not want to be out and about. Spokane boasts many breweries that have an atmosphere to make a beer paire
6 things you can do to save the world
You’ve heard of the 12 days of Christmas... here for the new year are the 6 Days of Impact. These six actions are things YOU can do to positively impact your communities and the environment you depend on: Buy local, org
Have you ever thought about how our world tells stories? As time goes on, it seems easier and easier to notice that our world is made up of stories we tell ourselves. History is a great example of this. Fifty years ago,
Here’s Why You Need a Break
This post will be a bit different from past blogs. I always want to ensure that Measure Meant focuses on the issues that matter; as a business dedicated to sustainability, there are a seemingly endless number to talk ab